On January 1, 1934, The Franklin Institute Science Museum opened to the public. The Museum's hands-on approach to science and technology, combined with the Fels Planetarium, made the Institute a popular spot. As the end of the twentieth century drew near, major changes were beginning at the Institute. In May of 1990, The Mandell Center, Tuttleman Omniverse Theater (now known as the Tuttleman IMAX Theater), and Musser Theater opened, adding dramatically to the size and appeal of The Franklin Institute. The new exhibits, exciting Omnimax films, and interactive presentations continued the Institute's long tradition of making science and technology fun.
Today, more than one hundred and seventy five years after the Institute's founding, The Franklin Institute Science Museum continues to offer new and exciting access to science and technology in ways that would both amaze and delight Mister Benjamin Franklin.
The Franklin Institute hosts one of the nation's largest museums of science and technology. The more notable pages in this site include essays about and images of scientific instruments, modules for teachers, and archival articles about science from the Philadelphia Enquirer. Online Exhibits include "The Heart: An Online Exhibition," "Flights of Inspiration," "Benjamin Franklin: Glimpses of the Man," and a number of exhibits devoted to meteorology, the environment and space. An interactive project: "Pieces of History" can be used by both teachers and students of the history of technology.